Every quarter, our investment management committee produces Market Watch, Mosaic’s take on the markets and the current economic affairs that influence them. The first edition of the year has just been published, and we’re excited to share our commentary with you.
- US markets enjoyed strong performance across the board for the twelve-month period ending March 31, 2017.
- The S&P 500 Index posted a 17% return for the twelve months ending March 31.
US small stocks did even better.
- Overseas, the developed world benefitted from improving exchange rates as well as strengthening economies, which helped push stock returns over 10%.
- With commodity prices recovering and the developed world needing more goods, outlooks brightened and emerging market stock returns averaged over 17%.
- Bonds were largely positive, although there was little to no price appreciation, so returns were relatively low.
- Global real estate stayed positive, but generated only mid-single digit returns.
- Alternatives helped to boost overall returns, led in particular by oil & gas pipeline/infrastructure companies, timber, emerging market bonds and business development companies.